Austin Wuennenberg, a 21-year-old employee of Disney World piloting the Monorail Purple train on the Disney Monorail System, was killed when the Monorail Pink train backed into his cockpit during a failed rail switch-over.
Abdullah al-Asiri, a 23-year-old member of al-Qaeda from Saudi Arabia, died in a failed attempt to assassinate Muhammad bin Nayef, the Deputy Minister of the Interior of Saudi Arabia, with a suicide-bomb. Posing as a “well-wisher” outside of Nayef’s home (a tradition in Saudi Arabia during Ramadan), Asiri waited for Nayef to get within close proximity to him before using a cell phone to activate his suicide-bomb, which consisted of 1 pound of PETN plastic explosives and some remote-activation electronics that he had hidden inside of his rectal cavity. Asiri was killed instantly upon detonation, but Nayef received only minor injuries due in part to Asiri’s body actually partially absorbing the energy of the blast upon exploding. Asiri had apparently been hiding the explosives in his anal cavity for more than 24 hours at that point in order to bypass metal-detectors and the security-staff. Experts in the field of modern terrorism have described al-Asiri’s method of perpetrating a suicide-bombing as “unique”.
Guido Salvador Carabajo-Jara, a 26-year-old from Queens, New York, was struck by an SUV while crossing the street and then impaled on the undercarriage of an oncoming van. His body was dragged around the city for nearly 20 miles before a pedestrian informed the driver of the van of what had happened. The two initial impacts were captured on film by a security-camera and have since been leaked onto the Internet.
A 14 year old boy died after his office chair exploded underneath him. The chair used a pneumatic system to adjust it’s height, and when the boy sat on the chair he compressed the canister. In a freak accident the canister somehow exploded under his weight and sent metal fragments deep inside his rectum.
Vladimir Likhonos, a Ukrainian student, died after accidentally dipping a piece of homemade chewing gum into explosives he was using on another project. He mistook the jar of explosive for citric acid, which was also on his desk. The gum exploded, blowing off his jaw and most of the lower part of his face.