Sauna Death

Vladimir Ladyzhensky, a Russian athlete, died in the final round of the 2010 World Sauna Championship in Heinola, Finland, after collapsing and being pulled from the finalists’ sauna for the men’s competition. The event was an endurance-contest started in 1999 in which competitors attempt to be the last person to leave a high-temperature, high-humidity sauna. Ladyzhensky was dragged out after collapsing and almost immediately began suffering spasms and convulsions. Timo Kaukonen, a Finnish competitor and five-time champion of the event, also collapsed during the final round and had to be removed from the sauna by medical personnel. Both men were immediately taken to a hospital for treatment. An autopsy determined that Ladyzhensky had ultimately died of third-degree burns over portions of his body, with his condition exacerbated by the pain-killers he had taken earlier in order to increase his ability to endure the intense final round of competition. Kaukonen had to be placed into a medically-induced coma that lasted six weeks, but ultimately survived after having suffered severe burns over 70% of his body’s surface, having scalded his respiratory-system and suffering kidney-failure. The sauna used for the final round of the men’s competition had been heated to more than 230 degrees Fahrenheit and had a humidity nearing 100% saturation due to a constant water-drip on the heating-element. This was significantly more extreme than the saunas used in previous World Sauna Championship competitions. Footage of the 2010 event, including Ladyzhensky and Kaukonen’s collapse and removal from the sauna, has been made available on the Internet. In 2011, it was announced that Heinola was officially cancelling all future World Sauna Championship events.

Submission by Logan Agle. Thank you.

Deadly Exciting Film

A 42-year-old man with a history of hypertension from Hsinchu, Taiwan, whose name has not been released to the press, died 11 days after having a stroke while in a movie theater watching the 2009 James Cameron film Avatar in 3D. According to the emergency room physician that oversaw the man when he arrived at the hospital, his stroke was due to “becoming over-excited” due to the emotional effects of the film.

Submission by Logan Agle. Thank you.

‘Dead’ woman woke up in morgue, then froze to death

Maria de Jesus Arroyo, 80, woke up in a body bag inside a Los Angeles mortuary freezer, but she then actually died when she failed to get out.

Strangled by burkha

A 24-year-old Muslim woman was driving a go-kart wearing a burkha. A part of the burkha tangled up in a wheel and she was strangled to death.

Submission by Rik van Doorne.

Crocodile on a Plane

20 crew and passengers died in a plane crash near Bandundu, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, when a crocodile, being smuggled by one of the passengers in a sports bag, freed itself and panicked the passengers who all ran towards the flightdeck. The tiny Filair L-410 Turbolet unbalanced and crashed, despite the lack of any technical failure. One passenger survived.

Man Killed by Car Wheel Thrown from Window

A man in Saint-Petersburg, Russia has died after being hit by a car wheel thrown from an upper window of an apartment building. The wheel landed centimeters from his feet before bouncing up and smashing into his head. The 44-year old was hospitalized with brain injuries and a broken jaw, and died two days later. Police suspect a group of teenagers seen entering the building may be to blame. Several of them were later allegedly seen checking him as he lay on the street, before walking away.

Thanks to Vladimir from Russia for the submission.

Fell to his Death into the Crater of an Active Volcano

A 25 year old Swedish tourist died from falling into the crater of an active volcano on the resort island of Bali in Indonesia.

Cigarette Sparks Hair Bleach

Image credit:www.metro.co.uk

Jenny Mitchell, a 19-year-old English hairdresser, was killed when her car exploded after fumes, caused by chemicals mixing with hydrogen peroxide leaking from a bottle of hair bleach, ignited as she lit a cigarette.

Owner Of Segway Inc., Died In Segway Accident

Jimi Heselden, British owner of the Segway motorized scooter company, was killed when he accidentally drove off a cliff on a Segway at his estate at Thorp Arch near Boston Spa.

Giant hay bale killed former ELO member

Mike Edwards, 62, an English musician and a founding member of rock group Electric Light Orchestra, was killed when a 600 kg (1,300 lb) bale of hay rolled down a hill and landed on his passing van in Devon.

Freak Go-Kart Accident

Amy Rose Coxall, a 15-year-old British schoolgirl studying in Hong Kong, died of strangulation shortly after her scarf got caught in the wheel of a go-kart she was driving on a karting course.

SMS Spam Killed Suicide Bomber

An unnamed woman from Chechnya, Russia, intended to detonate a suicide belt near Red Square on New Year’s Eve, in an attack that could have killed hundreds. But a message from her mobile phone operator wishing her a happy new year received hours before the planned attack, triggered her suicide belt, killing her at a safe house.

Killed by a Temper Tantrum

A 40-year-old wheelchair-bound South Korean man identified as Mr. Lee died after falling down an elevator shaft in Daejon. Lee had failed to enter an elevator in time and, in a rage, rammed the doors with his mobility scooter, breaking them open and falling to his death.

Beach Jogger Killed by Plane

Image: Head Island Packet/Associated Press

Robert Gary Jones, 38, was killed while jogging and listening to his iPod on a beach in Hilton Head Island, U.S. when he was hit from behind by a small plane making an emergency landing.

Mother Killed Her Infant Son Because He Interrupted Her Farmville Game on Facebook

22-year-old Alexandra V. Tobias from Jacksonville, Florida shook her 3-month-old son, Dylan Lee Edmonson, to death because he interrupted her Farmville game on Facebook.

Stuck in Lover’s House Chimney

Jacquelyn Kotarac, 49, a physician (internist) from Bakersfield, California, was found dead in her boyfriend’s chimney. She had been trying to break in through the chimney and died of asphyxiation. The body was found after a house sitter noticed an odor and fluids coming from the chimney.